December is the time of year when Northern Nevada begins to twinkle with all the holiday lights in Reno-Sparks. From neighborhood-wide competitions to neighbors who coordinate a gorgeous light display on their block, to individuals with a zest for decorating, many areas get into the holiday spirit. Want to see some of the best light displays? Here are a few places we’d recommend checking out to see holiday lights in Reno-Sparks.
1. Hidden Valley Parade of Lights
For 37 years, the Hidden Valley Parade of Lights has lit up this neighborhood east of McCarran Boulevard. The light displays stay up through Jan. 1, and anyone is welcome to drive the streets and see the show. A community tradition, the event is also a friendly competition amongst the decorators. Here are the winners from 2018:
- 1st place: 113 Mia Vista Court
- 2nd place: 7155 Pebble Beach Drive
- 3rd place: 3735 Jagged Rock Road
- 4th place: 2960 Man of War Drive
- 5th place: 2845 Parkway Drive
- 6th place: 6017 Clear Creek Drive
- 7th place: 5455 Hidden Green Point
- 8th place: 3425 Shawnee Circle
- 9th place: 4401 West Hidden Valley Drive
- 10th place: 2308 Tamarisk Drive
2. Double Diamond
Head over to 1675 Gulch Way to see a home with more than 40,000 lights on display. Owner Zach Nash said this year’s exhibition took almost 25 hours to put together.
3. Old Southwest
Check out the homes on the cul-de-sac of the 1100 block of Alpine Court in Southwest Reno. These neighbors put on a beautiful display and also collect food for the Food Bank of Northern Nevada. And, if you time it right Santa will be sitting outside handing out candy canes!
4. Somersett Neighborhood of Lights
For the third year in a row, Somersett will host its annual Neighborhood of Lights event. The neighborhood also gets into the spirit with a contest among the participants. Some of the categories include classic, “Griswold” and themed. Check out the homes on Deerbrook Court, and the decorations on common areas near and on the cul-de-sac turnaround.