One of the best ways to experience northern Nevada is by attending one of the many fall events in Reno/Sparks. The season starts with the Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-Off on Aug. 29 and continues all the way through the Oct. 6 with the Eldorado Great Italian Festival. In between, there are fall events in Reno/Sparks almost every weekend and most weekdays. To help navigate this dense schedule, we chatted with Alexis Hill, the Arts, Culture, and Special Events Manager for the City of Reno to get her advice. Here’s what she had to say:
Fall Events In Reno/Sparks Advice: Get Your Calendar Straight
There are a variety of calendars that include information about the many fall events In Reno/Sparks. Here are a few that Hill recommends exploring:
- reno.gov: The City of Reno’s calendar includes any event with a City of Reno permit and others as well.
- cityofsparks.us: Likewise, the City of Spark’s calendar is an excellent resource for fall events in Sparks
- visitrenotahoe.com: For regional events, check out the calendar compiled by the Reno Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority. They’ve also put together a list of the region’s iconic events.
- unr.edu: The University of Nevada, Reno hosts a variety of events for students and the community.
- newsreview.com: For information about music events and concerts, visit the Reno News and Review’s website
- thisisreno.com: Thisisreno.com hosts a large calendar filled with events submitted by local organizers.
Fall Events In Reno/Sparks Advice: Make A Must Do List
After you’ve scoped out all of the calendars, it’s time to make a list of fall events in Reno/Sparks that you absolutely want to attend. With so many options, there’s an event for every taste. Here are a few ideas Hill suggests:
Burning Man/Rib Cook-Off
The first weekend of September offers a great opportunity for people watching while enjoying some delicious food. Attendees from Burning Man, a 70,000-person event in the Black Rock Desert about 150 miles from Reno, typically come back to the Reno/Sparks area on Labor Day—just in time to catch the tail end of the Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-Off. Head to downtown Sparks to see some of the attendees still covered in playa, chowing down on the best ribs in the country.
Riverwalk District Wine Walk
Get to know downtown Reno and see some old and new faces at the Riverwalk Merchants Association’s Wine Walk. This event takes place from 2-5 p.m. every third Saturday of the month. For a $20 wine-tasting ticket fee and valid photo ID, you’ll receive a wine glass and a wristband that allows you to sample wine at any participating merchant.
Fiesta is the City of Reno’s official celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month with an emphasis on art and culture and will feature displays from local nonprofits, artists and food vendors. Changüí Majadero, a five-piece Cuban band out of L.A., will headline the event. Throughout the day local mariachi, a flamenco guitarist, and salsa dance troupes giving dance lessons, filling Wingfield Park with cultural and artistic activity. In addition, the event will feature unique artists booths, family-friendly artistic activities and local food trucks.
Fall Events In Reno/Sparks Advice: Find Out About Road Closures
Many of the large special fall events in Reno/Sparks happen in downtown areas and close down some roads. To find out about planned traffic delays and road closures visit the City of Reno’s website.
With a bit of planning, you’ll be ready to have the best time ever at many of the fall events in Reno/Sparks.