Looking forward to some fresh, seasonal products this Summer? Farmer’s market season in the Reno area has begun. Here are 10 reasons to consider shopping your local farmer’s markets. (Source: http://www.cuesa.org)
- Taste Real Flavors – The fruits and vegetables you buy at the farmers market are the freshest and tastiest available.
- Enjoy Seasonal Items – The food you buy at the farmers market is seasonal. It is fresh and delicious and reflects the truest flavors.
- Support Family Farmers – Buying directly from farmers gives them a better return for their produce and gives them a fighting chance in today’s globalized economy.
- Protect the Environment – Food at the farmers market is transported shorter distances and is generally grown using methods that minimize the impact on the earth.
- Nutritional Value – Most food found at the farmers market is minimally processed, and many of our farmers go to great lengths to grow the most nutritious produce possible.
- Variety is the Spice of Life – At the farmers market you find an amazing array of produce that you don’t see in your average supermarket.
- Animals Raised Better – At the farmers market, you can find meats, cheeses, and eggs from animals that have been raised without hormones or antibiotics, who have grazed on green grass and eaten natural diets, and who have been spared the cramped and unnatural living conditions of feedlots and cages that are typical of animal agriculture.
- Where Did The Food Come From? A regular trip to a farmers market is one of the best ways to connect with where your food comes from
- Cooking Tips – Farmers, ranchers, and artisans at the farmers market are often passionate cooks with plenty of free advice about how to cook the foods they are selling.
- Sense of Community – The farmers market is a community hub—a place to meet up with your friends, bring your children, or just get a taste of small-town life in the midst of our wonderful big city.
Here are a few of the markets in the Reno area. Get out and enjoy the great things the Reno community has to offer.
THE VILLAGE MARKET ON CALIFORNIA AVENUE – 1119 California Ave
The Village Market is the longest running market in Reno and one of the most popular. Located in The Village Shopping Center where Booth Street meets California Avenue, one block south of Reno High School. The 2017 season will run Saturdays from June 3rd through September 30th and the hours are from 8AM through 1 PM.
THE SANDS FARMER’S MARKET – 345 N. Arlington
This is our third season at The Sands location. After two years in the South parking lot, we will be moving to the East Lot on the Arlington Avenue side. This season, we will not be under the big tent so be sure to look for the vendor tents when they pop up every Thursday. The 2017 season will run on Thursdays from from June 8th through August 24th (except for August 10th due to Hot August Nights) and the hours are from 4PM through 8PM.
THE SUMMIT MALL FARMER’S MARKET – 13925 S. Virginia
The Summit Mall is a high end shopping center located at the south end of Reno and is another wonderful location that hosts two markets per week during the regular season. The Summit is also the location of our Pink Pumpkin Fall Festival at the beginning of October. The 2017 season will be as follows, Saturdays – June 3rd through September 30th and Tuesdays – June 6th through September 26th. The hours for both markets are 9AM through 1PM.
Amy Shocket has been a Sparks resident for over 20 years and is a top-producing REALTOR® working out of the Dickson Realty Sparks office.