Summer is almost here and that means construction season will soon begin. Residents and visitors alike will see many changes taking place at our area schools this summer season. Back in 2014, two General Obligation Bond measures were placed on the November ballot by the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District. They were designed to upgrade many of the critical needs of schools within the District.
Measure U addressed Truckee area schools and Measure E addressed those at the Lake Tahoe side of the District. The measures barely passed – but did. Both measures required 55 percent voter approval to pass. Lakeside voters approved Measure E with 58.62% in favor. And Truckee’s Measure U passed only after all the absentee ballots were finally counted.
The District has estimated that the maximum tax rate required to fund Measure E will be $29.75 per $100,000 of assessed value; and that the maximum tax rate required to fund Measure U will be $48.25 per $100,000 of assessed value. The measures appear on resident’s property tax bills twice yearly and first appeared on resident’s 2015/16 tax bills. Final maturity for both Measures will be 2048.
From General Obligation Bond issuances, Measure U will generate approximately $114 million in funding, and Measure E will generate approximately $62 million in funding over the next 8+ years. The first issuances took place in the 1st Quarter of 2015, with approximately $20 million for Measure U and $19.5 million for Measure E.
To ensure funds are spent appropriately, an independent citizens’ oversight committees were formed for both measures, according to California Proposition 39.
2016 projects are as follows:
* Alder Creek Middle School: Parking Lot Upgrade/Security/21st Century Learning
* Glenshire Elementary School – Phase 2: Modernization/Security/21st Century Learning
* Sierra Expeditionary Learning School: Parking Lot Upgrade/Modernization/21st Century Learning
* Tahoe Lake Elementary School-Phase 1: Parking Lot Upgrade
* Rideout Building Upgrades/Interim Housing for Tahoe Lake Elementary
* Truckee High School: Complete Track/Restroom Building/East West Field Upgrade
* Donner Trail Elementary School: Exterior Painting/Gym Interior Painting/Gym Flooring
* Warehouse/Maintenance Facility: New Construction Located at District Office-Measure U/E
You can find more information on the Measures here, including schematics for every school site. We’ve chosen ‘before’ and ‘after’ renderings for Truckee High School as it’s the nearest school site to our office and at the first exit to town off I-80, so it’s the gateway to Truckee. As you can see, it will not only be a lovelier street presentation for residents and visitors alike, but a much more conducive learning environment for students.
Measure U Presentation2-2-16FL.pdf, provided by TTUSD
Tahoe Daily Tribune