Winter is coming, and while your friends who like to ski, snowboard, snowmobile or snowshoe are gearing up for cold, outdoor fun, you may be looking to stay cozy inside. Here are some fun things to do in the winter to bond with your friends and family while keeping warm.
Are you looking for a mysterious challenge? Break Through Reno takes you through a game of clues as you try to solve the riddle to get out of a room. With four different themed rooms, Break Through Reno is a great place for a big group to have some fun.
- Address: 294 E. Moana Lane #13, Reno, NV 89502
- Hours: By appointment only
Another challenging escape game is Puzzle Room Reno. Located in downtown Reno, Puzzle Room Reno helps your group develop team building skills and critical thinking with four themed rooms. Go online to Puzzle Room Reno to watch trailers for the different rooms and to make an appointment.
- Address: 135 N. Sierra St., Suite B, Reno, NV 89501
- Hours: By appointment only
Have some indoor fun by playing classic arcade games at The Artcade, Five years ago, The Artcade started in Beach Hut Deli in northwest Reno. The owners found that the games were so popular, that they decided to open a full arcade. The new location includes 1000 square feet of arcade classics and pinball machines that you can play while drinking a beer from Beach Hut Deli and eating a delicious sandwich.
- Address: 5030 Las Brisas Blvd., Reno, NV 89523
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Saturday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday
If you’re near Incline Village and you’re you want to get out of the cold and still have some fun, visit Bowl Incline and Recreation Center. This spot offers bowling, arcade games and billiards. It’s a great venue to check out for a warm day indoors or family fun at night!
- Address: 920 Southwood Blvd., Incline Village, NV 89451
- Hours: 11 a.m. to midnight, every day
If you’re looking for competition, head to Need 2 Speed in Reno for racetrack fun. Need 2 Speed is an indoor racetrack featuring high-performance electric karts. Visit Need 2 Speed to find a map of the raceway, waivers, and directions on how to make a reservation.
- Address: 6895-B Sierra Center Parkway, Reno, NV 89511
- Hours: 1 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Thursday; 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday; 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday; 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday
The National Automobile Museum takes visitors through the story of vehicles with more than 200 glorious cars. Designed to transport visitors to another century with its street-like décor and old-fashioned costumes, the museum is fun for everyone. Grab a group and walk through the car exhibit, read some facts, and maybe even honk some horns. On Automuseum.org, you can find admission prices, a calendar of events, and a description of all the exhibits.
- Address: 10 Lake St., Reno, NV 89501
- Hours: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sunday
If you’re near Tahoe City and you want to explore some history, visit the Tahoe Maritime Museum. This museum takes visitors through the history of Lake Tahoe’s maritime aspects. Visitors can check out the exhibits to learn more about Tahoe while staying warm. Visit Tahoe Maritime Museum to find descriptions of the exhibits and more history.
- Address: 401 W Lake Blvd., Tahoe City, CA 96145
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Thursday through Saturday
Spend the day looking for wandering the stacks at Sundance Books & Music, located in Midtown. Housed in a historic building, this store is dedicated to supporting Northern Nevada’s literacy. Sundance Books & Music has been open for more than 30 years. Bring your family and friends and explore each room with different genres. Visit Sundance Bookstore to find a calendar of events and ways to sign up for a membership.
- Address: 121 California Ave., Reno, NV 89509
- Hours: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Friday; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday.
If you’re looking for something the whole family to enjoy, especially young children, visit the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum. Give the kids the opportunity to learn while also having fun. Want to know more about the exhibits? Go to the Nevada Discovery Museum’s website to see what’s going on in the museum right now. Visit the museum on Wednesdays after 4 p.m. for $5 admission!
- Address: 490 S. Center St., Reno, NV 89501
- Hours: Closed Monday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday; 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Wednesday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday through Saturday; Noon to 5 p.m., Sunday
Sports fans get ready—it’s basketball season. Escape the cold while experiencing the rush of sports and watch the Reno Bighorns play at the Reno Events Center. This upcoming winter, the Reno Bighorns face opponents from California, New York, South Dakota, and Tennessee all at their home court. For game days and ticket prices, visit the Reno Bighorns website. Go Bighorns!
- Address: 400 N. Center St. Reno, NV 89501
Even though the word “Bocce” is in its name, Bundox Bocce offers more than that. The 22,000-square foot space offers a restaurant, bar and game area with seven indoor bocce courts, shuffle board tables, skee ball alleys and two, 50-foot projection screens. Groups are welcome, so grab a few friends and head over to Bundox, located in the Renaissance Hotel downtown.
- Address: 1 Lake St., Reno, NV 89501
- Hours: 4 to 10 p.m., Monday through Thursday; 4 p.m. to midnight, Friday; Noon to midnight, Saturday; Noon to 10 p.m., Sunday